Church Membership is a biblical concept which is easily understood. It is a COMMITMENT TO A LOCAL CHURCH, in a specific location, which is representative of the body of Christ. Also, it further shows your personal commitment to public worship and service to Christ.
For the person who has received Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour, and who has the knowledge that they are saved: The Bible teaches the following about CHURCH MEMBERSHIP.
Further the Bible teaches an exclusive membership, which accepts into its church rolls only those people who have been saved and baptized. In the book of Acts 2:41, we read, "Then they that gladly received his word [accepted Christ for their salvation] were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls."
- It is an act which follows the example of early Christians. In the book of Acts 2:41, we read, "...and there were added unto them [their church membership] about three thousand souls." Again, in Acts 2:47, we read, "...the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved."
- It is an act that demonstrates obedience to Gods Word. In the book of Hebrews 10:25, it says, we should "not [be] forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is."
- It is an act where by you are able to be a part of glorifing God in Christ. Ephesians 3:21, states, "Unto him [God] be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages..."
- It is an act which is beneficial to you, for your maturing, serving and strengthening as a Christian. See Ephesians 4:12, "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ [church]."
- It is an act by which you put your personal approval on the ministry of a particular local church. A church you are able to support and recommend to others. One you are able to bring the unsaved to, so they are able to hear the Gospel of Christ through the earnest preaching of the Word.
The benefits of church membership are not only what you are able to receive, but also what you are able to give. God has given to each church a shepherd to watch over the members (Acts 20:25). We are told that early Christians, AFTER THEY BECAME CHURCH MEMBERS, learned the Word, fellowshipped with one another, took communion, prayed together, had a special unity, cared for one another, were faithful, glad, purposed and favored by God (Acts 2:42-47).
If you are SAVED God wants you in a good, God honoring, Bible preaching CHURCH. Especially, where the Word of God is being preached without apology and the church membership is trying to practice it to the best of their ability. Have you joined this kind of a church? IF YOURE SAVED, DON'T DELAY, JOIN TODAY!